The 14th NC Memorial Society

Dedicated to those North Carolinians who answered the call of their State and
served her honorably from 1861-1865 as members of the 14th Regiment, NC Troops

New website under construction . . . please check back soon
The 14th Infantry Regiment, formerly the 4th Volunteers, completed its organization in June, 1861, at Garysburg, North Carolina. Its companies were raised in the counties of Halifax, Onslow, Anson, Cleveland, Wake, Cumberland, Northampton, Stanly, and Davidson. With more than 1,000 men, the regiment moved to Virginia where it was placed in the Department of Norfolk. Later it was assigned to General Colston's, G. B. Anderson's, Ramseur's, and Cox's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia.


The 14th participated in the various campaigns of the army from Williamsburg to Cold Harbor, fought with Early in the Shenandoah Valley, and ended the war at Appomattox. It sustained 17 casualties at Williamsburg, 102 during the Seven Days' Battles, 139 in the Maryland Campaign, 4 at Fredericksburg, and 142 at Chancellorsville. Of the 306 engaged at Gettysburg, twenty percent were disabled, and there was 1 killed and 4 wounded at Bristoe. It surrendered 7 officers and 107 men [at Appomattox].

The field officers were Colonels R. Tyler Bennett, Junius Daniel, and Philetus W. Roberts; Lieutenant Colonels William A. Johnston and George S. Lovejoy; and Majors Edward Dixon, Paul F. Faison, and Joseph H. Lambeth. 


Joseph H. Crute, Jr., Units of the Confederate States Army,
Copyright 1987 by Joseph H. Crute, Jr., page 221